The Vern Rutsala Poetry Prize
The winner of the Vern Rutsala Poetry Prize wins
an immediate cash prize of $1000 and publication of his or her book with a full
Cloudbank poetry editors seek a wide range of
styles, approaches, forms, and aesthetics (for example: lyric, prose poems,
experimental, flash fiction, etc).
Electronic and postal submissions are accepted
from around the world with no citizenship limitations.
to access our online submission manager. Our post office address is:
Cloudbank Books, P.O. Box 610, Corvallis, OR 97339.
Due date: January 2, 2016. Reading fee is $25.
The final judge is Dennis Schmitz.
1. Simultaneous submissions and multiple
submissions are acceptable.
2. Revisions are not allowed during the contest.
3. Manuscript submissions must be original.
(If you include quotes from other works in your manuscript, please be sure they
are clearly attributed to the author either on the same page or in a “Notes”
section at the back of the manuscript.)
4. Manuscripts must be in English, although
it is perfectly acceptable to include some text in other languages.
5. Manuscripts must be previously unpublished,
although individual poems in a manuscript are still eligible for this contest if they
have been previously published in print or web magazines, journals, anthologies,
or on a personal website.
6. Manuscripts should be 60 to 90 pages.
Enclose two cover sheets with your submission, one with your contact
information and one without.
7. Postal submissions will not be returned. You
can include a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) for notification of the
Vern Rutsala taught at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon, for more
than forty years. He authored 16 books and was the recipient of National
Endowment for the Arts and Guggenheim fellowships. His The Moment’s
Equation was a finalist for the National Book Award in 2005.
Dennis Schmitz’s latest book is Animism, his ninth poetry collection,
published by the FIELD Poetry Series. His work has appeared in Field, The
Paris Review, American Poetry Review, and many other journals. He is the
recipient of National Endowment for the Arts and Guggenheim fellowships. He
taught at Sacramento State University for many years.
The Cloudbank Poetry Prize
Cloudbank is now accepting submissions for
Cloudbank 10. A prize of $200 will be awarded for one poem or short prose
piece. Electronic and postal submissions are accepted from around the world with
no citizenship limitations.
to access our online submission manager. Our post office address is: Cloudbank
Books, P.O. Box 610, Corvallis, OR 97339.
Due date: March 31, 2016. Reading fee is $15.
1. If submitting by mail, the check should be made out
to Cloudbank. All writers who enter the contest will receive a two-issue subscription
to Cloudbank magazine. (Your subscription will start with the current issue of
you request the next issue.)
2. Submissions without payment will also be considered
for publication, but will not be eligible for the prize. We read submissions year-round.
3. Please do not send more than five poems or flash
fiction pieces (500 words or less) for either the contest or regular submissions. The
$15 fee covers up to five poems/flash fiction.
4. For contest submissions sent by mail, the writer’s
name, address, e-mail address, and the titles of the poems being submitted should be
typed on a cover sheet only, not on the pages of poems or flash fiction. For non-contest
submissions, the writer’s name and address should appear on each page.
5. We accept electronic submissions through our
6. The submitted work may not have been published
elsewhere, including online journals.
7. We accept simultaneous submissions. Please let us
know if your work has been accepted elsewhere.
8. Postal submissions will not be returned. You can
include a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) for notification of the status of
9. For those who do not enter the contest, one-year
(two-issue) subscriptions to Cloudbank magazine are $15.00. Individual copies are
10. Two contributors’ copies will be sent to writers whose
work appears in the magazine.
11. If you already have a subscription and want to enter the
contest, your subscription will be renewed for two more issues.